Laparoscopy is one of the latest and advanced surgical methods that revolutionized the medical treatment for several types of internal disorders or abdominal issues. As surgery is much safer and minimizes the complications risks than the traditional approach of open surgery that requires wide abdominal incisions, doctors or surgeons prefer this modern medical procedure over the traditional surgery.
What is laparoscopic surgery?
The surgery is also known as minimally invasive surgery often performed as an alternative to open surgery. Unlike other traditional surgery on the parts of the intestine in which a long incision is required down the abdomen, laparoscopic involves a very small hole in the abdomen to access the abdominal organs. A laparoscope attached with a light source is used to clearly magnify the internal abdomen structures.
Some of the diseases for which advanced laparoscopic GI is performed are:
* Gastric resection for tumors
* Intestinal resection for inflammatory bowel disease
* Gastric and colorectal cancer
* Esophageal myotomy for achalasia
* Splenectomy and Adrenalectomy
* Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
* Gastrointestinal Disorders
* Gallbladder Disease
* Inflammatory Bowel Disease
* Rectal Cancer
* Pancreatic Cancer
* Endocrine Disorders
Find best laparoscopic hospital
For any kind of medical procedure, it is good to know about it prior to going through. If you are on natural supplements for vitamins and other minerals, you need to stop taking them as laparoscopic procedure require the use of analgesics that may contain aspirin and as this will tend to thin the blood, it may maximize the risk of haemorrhage. You must have someone to accompany you on the day of surgery. The person may be your friend or family member, means someone with whom you feel comfortable.
Schedule a pre- appointment with your surgeon and ask some necessary questions concerning the anesthesia and surgery etc.
* Ask him about the prescription of analgesics and other medications.
* Ask him whether you need enema which is used to clean out the intestines in order to avoid intestinal waste spreading in the abdomen.
* Ask your doctor whether he or she would agree to record a video of your laparoscopy surgery because it ensures you what went on during the whole surgical procedure.
* Ask whether the area where surgery will be performed need shave, if yes, you can do so by your own as this will substantially minimize the itchiness.
Above are some generic queries you can put before your doctor start surgery. In order to find best laparoscopic doctor, don’t hesitate to ask any query comes in your mind. Ask about the equipment and tools available for surgery in the clinic and ask about the surgeon’s qualification and years of experience he has in the same field. Additionally you can ask about the number of procedure he had performed with the laparoscopic technology and what is the success rate of them.