It is getting colder outside, and it means it is time to incorporate more soups in our cooking routine. Here are eight reasons / ingredients for making a simple squash soup to feel and look fabulous.
2 – 3 pounds butternut or acorn squash
2 tbs olive oil
medium onion chopped
2 cups vegetable stock
salt and pepper.
2 tbs fresh cilantro / parsley / dill or all above
1. Squashes are rich in vitamin A (in a form of beta carotene – important antioxidant, which helps to boost our immune system and fight inflammation which is very important during cold and flu season), and fiber which we always need to feel and look better.
2. Parsley is reach in vitamin C (several times the vitamin C of citrus), vitamin A (one of the highest sources), and chlorophyll which help to fight cancer, boost metabolism and immune system). Parsley is helpful for all kidney and urinary difficulties, strengthens the adrenal glands and teeth, helpful for ear infections, and deafness.
3. Cilantro is a detox herb – helps in the chelation of heavy metals such as mercury and lead.
4. Dill, as a detox herb, helps remove stagnation, protect against free radicalsand carcinogens; it is also rich in Calcium and Magnesium which help reduce stress, bone loss (especially after menopause) and promote sleep.
5. Turmeric (because of curcumin) is rich in antioxidants which fight/prevent cancer, boost immune system, reduce inflammation (helps with menstrual problems, toothache, bruises, rheumatoid arthritis); it is also natural liver detoxifier.
6. Onion is rich in vitamin C, antioxidants, chromium and vitamin B6. It reduces inflammation, prevents cancer, lowers blood pressure and cholesterol which helps reduce risk of heart attack and stroke; it also lower blood sugar and insulin levels which is beneficial for diabetics. And, of course, it fights common cold.
7. Carrot is rich in the antioxidant beta-carotene/vitamin A, which protects against cancer; it also treats ear infections, night blindness, earaches; it benefits our skin, helps reduce inflammation, helpful for digestive problems (indigestion, heartburn, excess stomach acid) and urinary infections. Carrots, rich in fiber, help with constipation. As a detox vegetable, it improves liver functions. Did you know that carrots heal the burns and stop instantly bleeding if you cut yourself in the kitchen?
8. Olive oil is one of the best vegetable oil. Did you know that it has been consumed for more than thousands years? Try always to buy, cold pressed extra virgin. It also makes a wonderful homemade facial by itself or an addition to any homemade mask.
Mash roasted butter or acorn squash. Saute onions and carrots in olive oil for 10 minutes. Mix squash with sautéd vegetables, add vegetable stock, salt and pepper to taste, and a dash of turmeric. Process all ingredients in a food processor. Sprinkle every serving with cilantro / parsley/ dill and add a tsp. sour cream. You can make this delicious and healthy soup for your family Thanksgiving Dinner.
Bon Appetit! Try this healthy soup and let me know if you like it.